Share |

Church News: Most Recent Content

  • MANILA, Sept. 3, 2010-In what they call an act of religious solidarity, Catholics are doing an outreach activity for Muslim inmates in Southern Philippines.

    Basic needs such as toiletries, soap and medicines will be given to around 200 inmates in both the Marawi City and Provincial jails on September 7, the eve of the feast of the Virgin Mary.

    "It will also be like a fiesta (celebration) because Maranaos have high regard for Mama Mary," said Marawi Bishop Edwin Dela Peña.

    "So we want Mama Mary to be our bridge for peace (between Christians and Muslims), he said.

  • MANILA, Sept. 1, 2010- A Catholic bishop criticized reports that officials of water utility MWSS received P384 million in bonuses and allowances last year.

    Sorsogon Bishop Arturo Bastes said the excessive salaries and benefits of the Metropolitan Waterworks and Sewerage System's employees is an abuse that must be investigated.

    He said the 25 months of bonus last year plus their 12 months basic salary is a "form of corruption."

    "They corrupt themselves... there is no reason for them to receive that amount," said Bastes.

  • MANILA, August 31, 2010- Election watchdog Parish Pastoral Council for Responsible Voting (PPRCV) asked the poll body to utilize pre-printed ballots for the barangays and Sangguniang Kabataan (SK) polls in October.

    Henrietta de Villa, PPCRV national chairperson, said it would be good if said ballots under the automated elections system would be utilized in the Oct. 25 elections for the voters to be more familiarized with it.

  • MANILA, Sept. 2, 2010-The Vatican has confirmed the appointment of Father Gregory Ramon Gaston as the next rector of the Pontificio Collegio Filippino in Rome.

    The Congregation of the Catholic Education (for Seminaries and Educational Institutions) announced the appointment of the priest who has been assigned since 2008 at the Holy Apostles Senior Seminary in Makati City.

    A communiqué about Gaston's appointment was also sent to the Manila Archdiocese by the congregations' prefect, Zenon Cardinal Grocholewski.

  • MANILA - The Catholic Church appealed to President Benigno s. Aquino III to fulfill his pro-poor platform of governance by implementing the agrarian reform law by not honoring the compromise deal, which, they said, runs counter to state laws and policies ordering the distribution of some 4,415 hectares of land in the Hacienda Luisita complex he and his family own.

    "The president cannot feign neutrality in this issue, for his silence and inaction will mean an implicit endorsement of the unjust compromise deal orchestrated by Cojuangco-owned HLI," the bishops said in a statement.

  • CAGAYAN DE ORO City, August 29,2010-The bishop of the Diocese of Malaybalay called on the faithful Sunday to remain calm and pray in the aftermath of the Sunday morning grenade attack on a church in Bukidnon that wounded two parishioners.

    Bishop Jose Araneta Cabantan also urged the faithful, especially the relatives of the wounded parishioners of the San Vicente Ferrer Parish in Kalilangan, Bukidnon to let law enforcement authorities solve the case and not take justice into their own hands to prevent bloodshed.

  • KHAN BELA, Pakistan (27 August  2010) --Catholic and Protestant leaders in Pakistan have joined forces to deliver in person much needed aid supplies to flood victims.

    Bishop Andrew Francis of Multan and Anglican Bishop Alexander John Malik of Lahore led a convoy containing food items and bottled water on Aug. 26 to the southern Punjab where five districts lie submerged under flood waters.

    Federal Minister for Minorities Shahbaz Bhatti also joined the convoy with an additional six trucks of relief items.

  • MANILA, August 29, 2010-Filipino migrants across the globe have offered prayers for the families of victims of hostage-taking incident in Manila that left eight tourists and hostage taker dead.

    Four days after the bloody end to the hostage-taking incident, the Catholic Bishops Conference of the Philippines' Episcopal Commission on Migrants and Itinerant People called on various Filipino communities worldwide to pray for the families of the victims.

  • MANILA, August 19, 2010-Two Catholic priests based in Manila have been denied the faculty to celebrate the sacraments.

    The Archdiocese of Manila, in a circular, warned the faithful Fr. Romeo Tena of the Society of African Missions who has been asking donations without permission.

    Fr. Rufino Sescon, Manila archdiocese's chancellor, said Tena has reportedly been celebrating Mass and collecting money at Manila's Port Area.

    "We wish to inform you that Father Tena has no permission from his society to celebrate the Sacraments," Sescon said in the circular.

  • Naga City - Fr. Andrew Recepcion, a priest from the Archdiocese of Caceres has been elected president of the International Association of Catholic Missiologists (IACM) during the organization's fourth conference and assembly last 27 July to 1 August at Tagaytay City.

    Recepcion, the Mission Director of the Archdiocese, was one among 80 participants coming from varied parts of the world engaged in Catholic mission activities.

    Recepcion also currently serves as the Executive Secretary of the Tercentenary Celebration Committee.