Fr. Wilmer Joseph Tria March 9, 2009, 12:00 pm
Democracy is the government of the people, by the people and for the people. The word “people” is not replaceable with the name Arroyo, Villafuerte or Robredo. Or even Tria. Therefore, we can never say that democracy is the government of Tria, by Tria and for Tria. In a democratic country like ours, there are three golden rules to follow to ensure that it is the government of the people, by the people and for the people, namely: honest elections, the separation of powers, and transparency. All these must be in place to ensure participatory governance.
Victor Denis T. Nierva March 2, 2009, 12:00 pm
IF THERE is something we’ve learned from the recent Bikol Arts Festival—which Naga City hosted, it is the full realization that in many ways we have lost our touch with what Bikol culture really is. And yet, the whole festival came in and out, despite this, and made clearer the very picture of our hunger—and resolve— to present something ‘more’ Bikol next time. Or the question is: have we ever really got in touch with the Bikol-ness of our ‘cultural’ endeavors in the first place? For at present, this Bikol-ness itself seems so elusive and deceiving as the eel when quantum-quick underwater. What happened?
Editor March 2, 2009, 12:00 pm
As speculations and apprehensions mount as to who would succeed outgoing Naga City Mayor Jesse Robredo, it is becoming more apparent that the leadership of the former has only produced more servile followers and not leaders.
Bernadette M. Gavino-Gumba March 2, 2009, 12:00 pm

Several years ago, the Philippine government arbitrarily signed up and consigned our economy to free unregulated trade through the General Agreement on Tariff and Trade (GATT) and membership in the World Trade Organization (WTO). Despite protests from various sectors, our legislators gave in to the pressures of globalization. First, we were compelled by our distorted sense of loyalty and dependence on US coupled with our serious lack of patriotism. Second, about 90% of all countries at that time have committed to globalization with the remaining 10%...

Alec Francis A. Santos, Jan Rev Davila March 1, 2009, 3:00 pm
With the start of the Balikatan Military Exercises looming, multi-sectoral movements against the Balikatan have stepped up their attacks against the said joint military exercises. According to KARAPATAN-Bikol Paul Vincent Casilihan, the number of human rights violations reported has increased significantly in the weeks preceding the start of Balikatan...
Most Rev. Leonardo Z. Legaspi, OP, DD March 1, 2009, 2:00 pm
Lenten is upon us once again. It is a time to be with the Lord in a special way, a time to pray, to fast, and thus to follow Him on the way to Jerusalem, to Golgotha, and to the final victory over death.
Jonas Cabiles Soltes March 1, 2009, 2:00 pm
NAGA CITY--They came and burned US flags but something was eerily missing amid the fiery speeches and loud protestations calling for the scrapping of the Visiting Forces agreement, the effigy of the commander in chief of the military troops they would not welcome-— Barack Obama. Thousands of protesters from all over Bikol Region had joined last week’s anti-VFA caravan, which culminated in a big rally in Legazpi City. But lost amid the rally was the littlest mention of Obama, even as the loudspeakers blurted out anti-American sentiments.
Vox Bikol March 1, 2009, 1:00 pm
IRIGA CITY--The National Commission for Culture and the Arts (NCCA) bestowed the choral group of the University of Northeastern Philippines (UNEP) here with the prestigious “Ani ng Sining” award during the closing rites of the 2009 Philippine International Arts Festival last Feb. 28 at the historic Manila Hotel.
Vox Bikol March 1, 2009, 1:00 pm
The mass media and the new (Information and Communication Technologies) ICTs have a very important role in the communications mission of the Church. The preferred use of the term, social communications, serves to remind us that there is a communicative dimension to every aspect of Church life and that we must not think exclusively in terms of our relations with the mass media or the new emerging media. It remains true that the mass media -- traditional and new alike -- provides us with a privileged way of bringing our message to ever greater audiences and in a variety of different ways. The voice of the divine word must echo even through the radio, the information highway of the internet, the channels of “online” virtual circulation, CDs, DVDs, podcasts, etc. It must appear on all television and movie screens, in the press, and in cultural and social events.
Melo M. Acuña March 1, 2009, 1:00 pm
MANILA --Two prominent Catholic church leaders welcomed the release yesterday of the remaining ten Ninoy Aquino-Rolando Galman convicts following a presidential decision to grant executive clemency last March 2.

Pages

Subscribe to Front page feed