MANILA, Oct. 25, 2011—Migrante Middle-East (ME) forewarned the would-be overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) not to be allured by “job offers” in Libya, even though Libya’s strongman, Muammar Muhammad Abu Minyar al-Gaddafi had already been slain by National Transition Forces last October 11.
John Leonard Monterona, regional coordinator of Migrante-ME in an email said that he has been receiving numerous calls asking the authenticity of job offers in Libya, being advertised by both local (Philippine) and international placement agencies.
“It is expected that ex-OFWs, mostly repatriates—due to the Libyan upheavals—are considering a comeback to work there; aside from them, there are would-be OFWs, too, now looking for jobs deployment to Libya as job opportunities in the Philippines are relatively scarce. However, there is an outstanding deployment ban, issued by the Department of Foreign Affairs, for workers in Libya. Because of this the authenticity of job offerings in Libya can be contentious,” Monterona said.
On the other hand, Monterona urges both the DFA and the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration to issue an assessment about Libya’s situation and if ever, issue guidelines in order to prevent illegal recruitment for Libya. [Noel Sales Barcelona/CBCPNews]