3 siblings die after eating turtle meat in Irosin, Sorsogon

CAMP GEN. SIMEON A. OLA, Legazpi City, Oct. 26 (PNA) -- Three young siblings died of food poisoning after eating turtle meat that their parents bought from an itinerant peddler on Sunday morning at Barangay Liang, Irosin, Sorsogon.

A police report identified the victims as Juvelyn, 1 year and six months; Jacob, 3; and Jose Bernando, 5 -- all surnamed Alon.

The report said the incident happened at about 10:30 a.m. after their father, Pio, and mother, Theresa, served the cooked turtle meat that they had earlier bought from a certain Norman Gacias, a fish vendor.

First to suffer stomach pain and vomiting was Juvelyn, who was rushed to the Irosin District Hospital but did not reach the facility alive.

Jacob and Jose Bernando experienced the same complaint of Juvelyn and were rushed to the Sorsogon Provincial Hospital, but Jacob died along the way while Jose Bernando expired after several hours.

Dr. Maxima Gonzales said the cause of the deaths of the siblings was food poisoning due to the turtle meat they ate. (PNA) LAP/FGS/EMC/CBD/EDS